The Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is a private law Foundation, created with special Government Law no. 269 of September 30th 2003, with the objective of promoting Italy's technological development and higher education in science and technology. Research at IIT is carried out in highly innovative scientific fields with state-of-the-art technology.
A postdoctoral position will be available starting from March 16th 2013 in cell culture facility at Center for Life Nanoscience@Sapienza (CLNS) recently set up by the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia at the University of Rome "La Sapienza"
The project will explore:
- the molecular basis of neuronal and muscle differentiation and of neuro-muscular diseases with specific interest in ALS pathogenesis ;
- the pathogenetic mechanism of ALS-associated proteins, with specific interest in those involved in RNA metabolism (FUS/TLS and TDP-43);
- use and manipulation of cellular and animal model systems suitable for the study of motor neuron and muscle cells development and function;
- methodologies for the derivation and differentiation of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells from human somatic cells and of mouse embryonic stem cells;
- advanced imaging analysis of RNAs and proteins in order to study their subcellular localization and transport;
- microscopy techniques for in vivo and in vitro studies of biological samples.
Ideal candidates should have a PhD in Biology and experience in molecular and cellular biology, as well as biochemistry and laboratory skills.
The position requires excellent and specific experience with:
- basic cell culture techniques and maintenance of adherent and suspension mammalian cell lines and primary human cells;
- isolation and growth of human fibroblasts and muscle cell cultures derived from biopsies from healthy individuals and patients affected by neuro-muscular disorders;
- cutting-edge technology for high performance fluorescent and chromogenic detection of proteins and in situ hybridization analysis of RNAs (mRNA, microRNA, long non coding RNA).
- experience with a broad range of optical microscopic imaging techniques and software for acquisition and analysis;
We value scientists with a proactive attitude and results-oriented mindset, good interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary research team. The employment will be for 3 years. An internationally competitive salary, dependent on experience, will be offered.
The position is open until filled but, for full consideration, please apply before March 11th 2013.
In order to comply with the Italian law (art. 23 of Privacy Law of the Italian Legislative Decree n. 196/03), we have to kindly ask the candidate to give his/her consent to allow IIT to process his/her personal data.
We inform you that the information you provided will be used solely for the purpose of assessing your professional profile to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with headquarters in Genoa, Via Morego, 30, acting as the Data Holder, using computer and paper based means, observing the rules on protection of personal data, including those relating to the security of data.
Please also note that, pursuant to art. 7 of Legislative Decree 196/2003, you may exercise your rights at any time as a party concerned by contacting the Data Manager.
The Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.