The Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) is a private law Foundation, created with special Government Law no. 269 of September 30th 2003, with the objective of promoting Italy's technological development and higher education in science and technology. Research at IIT is carried out in highly innovative scientific fields with state-of-the-art technology.
A postdoctoral position in Coherent Raman imaging will be available starting from October 1th 2013 in the Center for Life Nanoscience at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (CLNS@SAPIENZA, Rome, Italy).
The project will explore:
- Development of new multimodal nonlinear microscopy techniques based on coherent Raman scattering to optimise the feasibility of label-free chemically specific imaging for ultimate use in vitro and in vivo.
- Application of coherent Raman scattering microscopy to the study of lipid accumulations in cellular models of various types of disease;
- 3D image processing and analysis of nonlinear microscopy images;
Ideal candidates should have a PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Biophysics or a related field and experience in Raman spectroscopy, nonlinear imaging for biomedicine, as well as laser optics.
The position requires excellent and specific experience in:
- Use of Raman spectroscopy in biology or medicine for chemically specific biomarker determination and measurement;
- Working with picosecond and/or femtosecond laser pulses to build new optical experiments and the use of the appropriate software for instrument control and data collection in such experiments.
- Recording nonlinear images of cells or tissues in vitro or ex vivo;
- Using a range of optical microscopic image processing techniques and software for acquisition and analysis, with a particular emphasis on techniques for 3D and nonlinear imaging;
We value scientists with a proactive attitude and results-oriented mindset, good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary research team. The employment will be for 2 years. An internationally competitive salary, dependent on experience, will be offered.
The position is open until filled but, for full consideration, please apply before July 31, 2013.
In order to comply with the Italian law (art. 23 of Privacy Law of the Italian Legislative Decree n. 196/03), we have to kindly ask the candidate to give his/her consent to allow IIT to process his/her personal data. We inform you that the information you provided will be used solely for the purpose of assessing your professional profile to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia. Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with headquarters in Genoa, Via Morego, 30, acting as the Data Holder, using computer and paper based means, observing the rules on protection of personal data, including those relating to the security of data. Please also note that, pursuant to art. 7 of Legislative Decree 196/2003, you may exercise your rights at any time as a party concerned by contacting the Data Manager.
The Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.